Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Texas Caviar

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Ingredients:
1 16oz can of black beans
1 16oz can of ranch style beans
1 16oz can of black-eyed peas
1 12oz can of sweet corn
2 12oz cans of stewed tomatoes, diced
1 can of Rotel, original flavor
1 fresh jalepeno, minced
1 med green bell pepper, chopped
½ med purple onion, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 8oz bottle of Wishbone Italian Salad Dressing
1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips

Directions:
1. Drain and rinse black beans, ranch style beans, black-eyed peas, and corn (Mom/Peggy, are you paying attention?).

2. Combine beans, peas, and corn with next seven ingredients (stewed tomatoes through salad dressing) in large serving bowl.

3. Chill for 3-6 hours or overnight.4. Best served with your favorite tortilla chips!

Story behind the recipe:
This recipe was first discovered by us Mason girls on a trip to Grandma Mason’s house about 7 summers ago. Our Aunt Betty made this concoction that look sort of weird and not too appetizing to Gina and I but we tried it just to be polite. It had onions, tomatoes, and black-eyed peas in it….not many of our favorite foods to eat! Well….we were fooled and completely hooked. I think Gina and I sat at Grandma’s counter and devoured this dip that afternoon all by ourselves. I asked Aunt Betty for the recipe and she gladly gave it to me and I’ve been making it ever since, usually at someone’s request. It’s easy and simply delish!!

No comments: